Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Welcome to Portraits & Conversations

Welcome to my new blog.  This is a space in which I will publish the portraits and interviews that I create.  Some will be from my archive of work through the last 15 or 20 years.  Some will be current and new work. 

I have a code for this blog...  "more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules"...


1. My intent in a portrait is to focus attention on the subject, not on my visual dexterity.
2. Before an image can be a good portrait, it has to be a good photograph.
3. Any photograph can only show what the outside of something looked like at a given moment in time.
4. If one is lucky and good - or good and lucky - the photograph can suggest meanings beyond the outward appearance of the subject. It does so by paying attention to gesture, to expression, and what is happening at the edges of the frame.
5. The function of interview text is to reveal something of the internal reality of the subject, and must be edited and selected with that in mind.  If done well, selected text from an interview added to a good photograph creates a deeper and more meaningful portrait than text or image alone can reveal.
6. Observations, criticism, and suggestions about my work are welcome.  Malicious comments about the individuals whose portraits are shown here are not welcome and will be deleted.

I intend to add a new post every week, occasionally more than once a week.  If you like what you see and read, please pass the word along to those you know who might also be interested.

Cheers,

Kent Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment